Teladoc Health Reports Second Quarter 2019 Results
Year-over-year Q2 revenue grows 38% to $130.3 million and total visits increase 70% to 908,000
Year-over-year first half revenue grows 41% to $258.8 million and total visits increase 73% to 1,971,000
Issues 2019 third-quarter guidance and updates full-year expectations
PURCHASE, NY, July 31, 2019 — Teladoc Health, Inc. (NYSE: TDOC), the global leader in virtual care, today reported financial results for the second quarter ending June 30, 2019.
“The second quarter punctuated a strong first half of the year for Teladoc Health. Our robust engagement science strategies have allowed us to capitalize on the macro tailwinds we’re seeing globally to drive solid results across all of our markets and clinical specialties,” said Jason Gorevic, chief executive officer, Teladoc Health. “We built out our senior leadership team with two important additions during the quarter, and we made meaningful progress towards realizing the long-term benefits of our diversified growth strategy. The persistent strength in our visit volume and our accelerating sales pipeline serves as yet another affirmation of the broader acceptance and prevalence of virtual care in the healthcare system today.”
Financial Highlights for the Second Quarter and Six Months Ended June 30, 2019
- Net loss was $(29.3) million for the second quarter 2019 compared to $(25.1) million for the second quarter 2018.
- Net loss per basic and diluted share was $(0.41) for the second quarter 2019 compared to $(0.40) for the second quarter 2018.
- Gross margin was 68.0 percent for the second quarter 2019 compared to 70.7 percent for the second quarter 2018.
- EBITDA was $(12.2) million for the second quarter 2019 compared to $(10.1) million for the second quarter 2018.
- Adjusted EBITDA was a positive $6.3 million for the second quarter 2019 compared to $2.7 million for the second quarter 2018.
A reconciliation of generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) in the United States to non-GAAP results has been provided in this press release in the accompanying tables. An explanation of these measures is also included below under the heading “Non-GAAP Financial Measures”.
Teladoc Health provides guidance based on current market conditions and expectations.
For the third-quarter 2019, we expect:
- Total revenue to be in the range of $135 million to $138 million.
- EBITDA loss to be in the range of $(10.5) million to $(12.5) million.
- Adjusted EBITDA to be in the range of $7 million to $9 million.
- Total U.S. paid membership to be in the range of 28.5 million to 29.5 million and visit-fee-only access to be available to approximately 10 million individuals.
- Total visits to be between 800,000 and 900,000.
- Net loss per share, based on 72.3 million weighted average shares outstanding, to be between $(0.40) and $(0.42).
For the full-year 2019, we have updated our expectations as follows:
- Total revenue to be in the range of $538 million to $545 million.
- EBITDA loss to be in the range of $(39) million to $(45) million.
- Adjusted EBITDA to be in the range of positive $27 million to $33 million.
- Total U.S. paid membership to be in the range of 29 million to 30 million members and visit-fee-only access to be available to approximately 10 million individuals.
- Total visits to be between 3.7 million to 4.0 million.
- Net loss per share, based on 72.0 million weighted average shares outstanding, to be between $(1.52) and $(1.60).
Quarterly Conference Call
The second quarter 2019 earnings conference call and webcast will be held Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. EDT. The conference call can be accessed by dialing 1-833-241-4255 for U.S. participants, or 1-647-689-4206 for international participants, and including the following Conference ID Number: 5049316 to expedite caller registration; or via a live audio webcast available online at http://ir.teladoc.com/news-and-events/events-and-presentations/. A webcast replay will be available for on-demand listening shortly after the completion of the call at the same web link.
About Teladoc Health
A mission-driven organization, Teladoc Health, Inc. is successfully transforming how people access and experience healthcare, with a focus on high quality, lower costs, and improved outcomes around the world. The company’s award-winning, integrated clinical solutions are inclusive of telehealth, expert medical services, AI and analytics, and licensable platform services. With more than 2,000 employees, the organization delivers care in 130 countries and in more than 30 languages, partnering with employers, hospitals and health systems, and insurers to transform care delivery. For more information, please visit www.teladochealth.com or follow @TeladocHealth on Twitter.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by words such as: “anticipate,” “intend,” “plan,” “believe,” “project,” “estimate,” “expect,” “may,” “should,” “will” and similar references to future periods. Examples of forward-looking statements include, among others, statements we make regarding future revenues, future earnings, future numbers of members or clients, litigation outcomes, regulatory developments, market developments, new products and growth strategies, and the effects of any of the foregoing on our future results of operations or financial conditions. Forward-looking statements are neither historical facts nor assurances of future performance. Instead, they are based only on our current beliefs, expectations and assumptions regarding the future of our business, future plans and strategies, projections, anticipated events and trends, the economy and other future conditions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict and many of which are outside of our control. Our actual results and financial condition may differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause our actual results and financial condition to differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements include, among others, the following: (i) changes in laws and regulations applicable to our business model; (ii) changes in market conditions and receptivity to our services and offerings; (iii) results of litigation; (iv) the loss of one or more key clients; and (v) changes to our abilities to recruit and retain qualified providers into our network. For a detailed discussion of the risk factors that could affect our actual results, please refer to the risk factors identified in our SEC reports, including, but not limited to our Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, as filed with the SEC.
Any forward-looking statement made by us in this press release is based only on information currently available to us and speaks only as of the date on which it is made. We undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement, whether written or oral, that may be made from time to time, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.